Bread and butter pudding is one of those British classics. It’s a proper warming feel good pud, which needs nothing more than a good scoop of ice cream and a loving tummy to make it happy.
It is also dead simple to do, and this version is a little bit posh! Make it for a crowd and it will go down a treat. The bitterness of the dark chocolate marries the sweetness of the apricot jam for that little bit of extra specialness, plus it is not too sickly, so will only leave you with full signs of content.
- 300ml (1/2 pt)
- 150 ml (¼pt) double cream
- 2 medium eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 65 gram(s) (2½oz) golden caster sugar
- Few drops vanilla extract
- 1 baguette, cut into slices
- 100 gram(s) (3½oz) dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- 35 gram(s) (1¼oz) butter, melted
- 30 mls apricot jam
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Bring the milk and cream to the boil in a saucepan for about 10 mins. Meanwhile, mix the eggs, egg yolks and sugar together until bubbly. Add this to the cream mix and stir while you do this to combine it all and stop the egg cooking!
- Strain into a jug and add the vanilla. Other things you could use for flavour are nutmeg or almond flavouring!
- Brush the bread with the melted butter and lay it in a dish, it doesn’t matter if you have to put bread slices over each other, just make sure that they all get a bit of choc.
- Scatter over the chocolate pieces.
- Pour over custard mix and leave the dish to soak for 30 minutes.
- In a saucepan or microwave, heat the jam, then brush over the puddings before serving.
- Place the dish in a roasting tin and fill it with hot water so it reaches halfway up the sides of the dish. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden and just set.
- Serve with ice cream or cream and ENJOY
It’s not quite the same without the jam so make sure you get hold of some. Lidl have a really yummy real fruit jam for only 89p! If you hate apricot you could use something different, maybe try milk chocolate and strawberry jam?
I have been on a bike ride today, so will be eating seconds of this baby guilt free tonight :) Not that I would restrain if I had not been so active today… Pretty sure I have a separate pudding stomach!
Recipe adapted from Good housekeeping.