I would like to dedicate this blog post to my house mate Bridget. Last night I returned from a night out where, by the way, I proudly performed a top rendition of Shakira’s Wherever Whenever. I think she embodied me. It was 2:30am and to my amazement she was cooking a cheese sauce from scratch and making a macaroni cheese! Fair play to her, I can barely manage to butter toast at that sort of time.
Anyway, since then I had been craving a mac and cheese, so I decided to make my own. However at a slightly more normal time…
You will need:
- 40g of plain flour
- 40g of butter
- 1 pint milk
- 250g grated cheese
- 30g parmesan
- 2 slices of that fake plasticky cheese (Ok this really isn’t posh…)
- 250g pasta tubes
- 2 balls of frozen spinach, you can get it in the frozen veg aisle and it’s genius
- handfull of chopped tomatoes
- 1tsp sugar
- 2 chopped spring onions
1) Cook your pasta for 10 mins and leave until needed. Then set your oven to 200 degrees.
2) Make a roux by melting the butter in a saucepan, then stirring in the flour. Cook that for 2 mins before pouring in the milk bit by bit and whisking. Bring it all to the boil, then turn it down and keep whisking until it thickens into a gloopy sauce. This takes about 15 minites.
3) Stir in all of your cheese, including the plastic one which you may want to slice up. Leave a little bit of parmesan to go on top!
4) Pop in the spinach balls, and while it defrosts in the sauce fry off the tomatoes with oil and sugar. The sugar may sound strange but it works! Fry them till they’s squidgey and add them to the cheesy sauce.
4) Put your pasta tubes and the sauce in a bake-proof dish then top with the cheese and spring onion. Grill for 10 mins. Then serve. I had mine with avocado which worked really well. Oh I also put Quorn chicken in incase you are wondering what the chunks are! But that is definitely optional.