I had never made a fritter before, but I liked the word! And I liked the taste, over all a win.
If you are like me and eat straight sweetcorn out the tin, restrain, and make these instead it’s worth it!
I would have had them with halloumi cheese and avocado, but I was lacking in halloumi and my avocado wasn’t ripe, so I settled for garlic mayo and sweet chilli sauce.
Which brings me to this request: could someone please invent an instant fruit ripener? Thanks.
They only take about 4 mins to cook, are both crispy and squishy at the same time, and have a bit of a kick!
You will need:
- 300g sweetcorn
- 75g plain flour
- 1 egg
- 1 pint milk (I used soya and it worked just as well)
- 1/2 red onion chopped
- 1 clove crushed garlic
- 1 tbs fajita mix
- 1 tsp paprika
1) Whisk together the flour, egg, milk and spices into a smooth batter in a bowl. Then add the sweetcorn, garlic and onion into the batter and mix it all together.
2) Heat up about 2 tbs of olive oil in a pan, then spoon in the mixture into the oil, you can usually fot about 3 good sized fritters in one pan.
3) When they have crisped up on one side, flip them over and crisp up the other side. They are a bit like cooking pancakes.
4) Serve with a dip! If you eat meat apparently they go well with bacon. I reckon they would also be nice dipped into a fried egg with beans.