This salad is a marriage of the italians and the greeks.
Halloumi is a greek goats cheese, but it isn’t squishy and hairy like regular goats cheese. It has a salty taste and a rubbery texture and it is my favourite cheese ever.
Polenta is a cornmeal based carb, and it is loved by the italians. It has a squidgy texture that crisps off in the frying pan. I have never cooked with it before but it is so versitile! You can grill, fry, boil and best of all for us students, you can microwave it. It is the yellow rectangular stuff in the picture above!
You will need:
- Polenta- looks like this and is fun to squish
- Halloumi sliced
- Chilli flakes
- Roasted vegetables
- Salad leaves
- Greek yoghurt
- Ready made polenta- sliced
1) First roast your veg. I roasted mine but also made my Lemon Salted Courgettes because I am slightly obsessed! Cooking the halloumi and polenta takes only about 10 mins so wait till your veg is roasted before you procede.
2) Glug about 2 tbs of oil into a frying pan and heat it till it sizzles. Then start to fry the halloumi and polenta slices. Add them neatly so they don’t over lap so that it is easy to flip over each slice so that they are crispy on both sides. Squeeze into the pan 1 half of a lemon and chilli flakes to taste while they fry off.
3) Meanwhile prep your salad leaves and anything else you may want- cucumber, olives, carrot, sweetcorn, avocardo, you get the idea. Then put your roast veg and courgettes on top.
4) Place the halloumi and polenta on the salad and drop on some greek yoghurt.
My verdict on polenta after this salad is that it is definitely one to try! It has a really different texture and compliments any flavours you put with it. I am soon to blog my dinner tonight which is a pizza with polenta base!