If you are feeling a bit sour, and need a bit of zing in your life, these lemon curd bars are just waiting to make your tummy happy.
While flicking through this little Leon cookbook, these bars instantly took our fancy. I love lemon cake, lemon muffins, lemon on pancakes, and it seems now I love lemon curd bars! You cut them into squares so they’re good for taking on picnics. I took mine as a snack for work.
- 280g plain ﬂour plus an extra 35g for the lemon topping
- 80g icing sugar
- 225g butter, cold and cubed
- 4 free range eggs
- 350g sugar
- 120ml fresh lemon juice
- 1tsp grated lemon zest
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Icing sugar to ﬁnish (I forgot this bit)
1) Set the oven to 170C. Put the flour, icing sugar and butter into a bowl, use a hand blender or food processer and mix it all together untill it creates a bowl. I didn’t think this was going to happen because the mix looks like sand! But persevere and it will work, once it starts to make big clumps of dough use your hands to push it together into a ball. Make sure the butter is cold!
2) Press it into a baking tray and bake it for 20-25 mins, until golden and set.
3) Place the eggs into a bowl and whisk until fluffy. Then add the sugar, lemon zest and juice and continue to whisk. Finally add the flour and baking powder and stiiiiiir it up to combine it all.
4) Pour the mix onto the base, it will be sloppy. Then place it back in the oven at 170C to cook for 25-30 mins until set, however mine still wobbled in the middle!
5) Finally leave it to cool, and when it has dust it with icing sugar (as I said I forgot this part). This is probably because I also served it semi-hot before it had cooled, when the base and the topping was all squidgy so it was a little like a lemon sponge pudding, it was yum.